Monday, May 10, 2010

Army Painter Quickshade

I've taken the plunge and bought a tin of Army Painter Quickshade - Strong, after seeing the results on other blogs and have experimented with it on one of my French HaT line battalions. It seems to engender strong opinions, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway. I'm still not convinced that it's more economical or more effective than a bigger tin of varnish from the hardware store, but I'll look into that in the future.

I found that the best way to spread it after dipping wasn't the prescribed flicking, but blowing on it after letting the excess drip into the can. I tried the suggestion of holding it with pliers while dipping and flicking, but obviously that's what you should do with metal figures, not plastic. The base of the first figure got a bit mangled by the pliers. The pictures in this posting compare one 12-figure battalion which has been dipped, with one that hasn't. I've then compared a close up of 2 of the same pose.

I know it's not to everyone's taste, but I quite like the effect it gives, especially for the skin. It defines the creases and folds of cloth well too. I like my figures to look a bit campaign-worn and not too shiny and new, so I think I'll keep on dipping the rest of my collection.

Dipped battalion.
Feeling a bit light headed after all that huffing and puffing!

Undipped comparison

Front view comparison. Left undipped, right dipped.
Left figure has light brown over-trousers, while the right figure has white trousers dirtied by the dipping process.

Rear view of the same pair

2 comments:

  1. One alternative that works well for me is matt polyurethane varnish from Bunnings mixed with a little brown acrylic paint. It matts, darkens and highlights the folds and creases all at the same time. It also gives a slightly muddy weathered effect that looks good.

    It looks like you're getting a similar muddy effect on the lighter trousers of those figs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, Zardoz. I might try that once I run out of Army Painter. However, I do like the fact that it's all pre-mixed so the tone is consistent.

    Yours is an all in one process, though, which has its attractions, because with Army Painter, you then need to apply a matt coating afterwards, because it is VERY glossy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Shelfari Bookshelf