Saturday, August 31, 2013

What?! MORE French Infantry! Who'd Have Guessed?

 Yes, another battalion of French infantry! I'm down to my last regiment, so you'll being something else soon. I'll probably start my Bavarian cavalry next.

Again the basis of these troops are HaT set 8095, although there are some ring-ins again; the officer is from HaT set 8167, though his plume has been substantially pared back to resemble a pompon. The eagle bearer and NCO are from Italeri set 6092 with HaT heads. The Eagle bearer's is from HaT 8167 while the NCO's is from 8095. It's amazing how just having HaT heads makes the Italeri figures blend in!









Now for something different: A command figure for my Bavarian cavalry. As there are no commercially available Bavarian command figures, I thought I should have a go at creating my own. One of the remaining figures from the Waterloo 1815 Mounted Line officers set paid the ultimate sacrifice and lost his head to have it replaced by one from the Zvezda Napoleonic HQ Staff. As the join was not up to my usual standards, as well as the fact that I chopped away most of the original figure's collar, I made a new collar from Milliput (after about 4 attempts; bloody fiddly! Grrrrr!). He rides one of the magnificently animated horses from the Zvezda HQ set.

The figure below is my approximation of a General officer. The plastron resembles the plate below, but the figure has aiguillettes and a sash and the bicorne has a large plume, which would indicate a Staff officer. However, this is the closest I'll be able to come to making a figure remotely resembling the historical ideal, so again I'll be assuming this chap is more of a dandy who's outfitted himself in a way that tips the hat at protocol, but says a lot more about his own taste in military fashion!



14 comments:

  1. Nice work on the French there Rosbif and I am looking forward to the Bavarians

    ReplyDelete
  2. More classy work, I love seeing the WIP shot too as it highlights the fine conversion work that you put in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your French troops are amazing Rosbif!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done French Mr Rosbif.

    I do enjoy your conversions. I hope you don't mind me saying but you may find the collars and wee bits easier to shape with pro-create its 2parts and can be sanded/cut but is much easier to use than milliput (even the fine 1).

    Look forward to the Bavarians!
    Regards
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Paul! I've wondered how you do your conversions, but never got around to asking. Cheers!

      Delete
  5. Great looking figures Ben, just how many units does that actual make for the French then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray! That's my 13th French battalion for this Borodino project (on top of the 9 I already had in my collection). But on top of that, there's the 4 battalions of Croats and Spaniards I've also painted up for this project.

      Still have 3 battalions of French to go, and if I have the time or energy, I was thinking of replacing some of my battalions painted and based when my skills weren't nearly quite as developed as they are now!

      Delete
  6. Did you do something different with this batch, they look . . . crisper, somehow.

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the flash with this one. You're right; it does make them look crisper and clearer, but it also exaggerates the shading around the faces. Some of them almost look like the living dead!

      Delete
  7. Cheers all!

    With feedback like yours it makes plodding through battalion after battalion worthwhile :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least you can motivate yourself to paint them up! I have hundreds of Frenchies lying around but can't get myself to do em up at all...

    ReplyDelete
  9. BTW there's a great generall staff set for the Bavarians from Hecker and Goros: http://www.fredericus-rex.de/Figures/Figures-1-72/Napoleonic-Figures-1-72-182/Divers-manufacturer-1-72/Hecker---Goros---Napoleonic-Wars--KSHG219-1-72-1545.html?XTCsid=ogcjn33ug588n89ismsojq9b40

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your welcome, I also use green stuff for cloaks etc. I picked up a cheap set of tools for sculpting off ebay, they help a lot. I'm no expert though. If you ever want to blether about naps drop me a line.
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Shelfari Bookshelf